A Millville man is without the home he's lived in since 1969, after it was destroyed in a cooking fire Wednesday. He raised nine children inside the house, and tried to put out the blaze before watching his home burn down to the ground Wednesday evening.
John McNallen said he placed some waffles into his toaster on top of the porcelain part of the stove in his home on the 3200 block of County Road 72.
After pressing the food down a second time, the toaster went up in flames. McNallen said he took a sweatshirt to try to extinguish the flames, but the fire grew larger due to some grease on the stove. When he attempted to put out the blaze with the fire extinguisher, the fire had already melted the plastic nozzle.
After putting up a good fight, McNallen left to avoid breathing in any more smoke.
McNallen lost everything in the fire, and said some of the things in the home were more valuable than the house itself.
McNallen did not have home insurance and is rebuilding his life all over again. The Red Cross is assisting him.
How you can help:
Anyone interested in helping John McNallen can drop off or mail a donation to the John McNallen fund:
The Bank of Alma
730 Pembroke Ave.
P.O. Box 150
Wabasha, MN 55981