City of Hammond asks all residents to let water faucets trickle - KXLT - Fox 47 Rochester MN News, Weather, Sports #rochmn

Hammond declares water emergency, Chatfield asks residents to check temperature

Posted: Updated:

HAMMOND, Minn. (FOX 47) -- The deep frost is now beginning to have an impact in the city of Hammond, and city officials have declared a water emergency.  They are asking all residents to let water trickle from one faucet in their homes to prevent underground water pipes from freezing.

City Clerk Bonnie Gary says work crews were working underground Friday on River Street to prevent freezing in sewer lines.

"We're trying to get the sewer lines cleared so the waste can go into the grinder pumps and be functioned into the waste water treatment plant so that there's not back ups in the homes," said Gary.  She promised water bills will be adjusted downward to help residents deal with the higher cost of running their water continuously.

Meantime, the City of Chatfield is joining the list of communities asking residents to take the temperature of their water as a precaution.

"Due to a number of freeze ups within the community, residents are advised to continuously run their water if their water temperature is below 40 degrees," said City Clerk Joel Young. "Water should be run at the rate of the width of a pencil."

Powered by WorldNow



Main Station: 507-252-4747
6301 Bandel Road NW
Rochester, MN 55901

Newsroom: 507-281-4747
Tollfree: 1-877-FOX47TV

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KXLT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at